Empowerment Through Education Scholarship Program
Our hope is that by providing the opportunity to further one’s education, the scholarship participants will not only be able to improve their own future, but also that of their own communities. The foundation believes in the power and importance of community service and, as a result, all scholarship participants are required to volunteer for a minimum of 100 hours a year.
To learn more about the Empowerment Through Education Scholarship opportunity, please review the ETE Program Information Flier and read the ETE Application Frequently Asked Questions Guide for 2015.
Our Ideal Candidate – A student, male or female, from a country in the developing world, who:
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Will be studying in their country or another country in the developing world
- Plans to live and work in their own country after they graduate
- Has volunteered prior to applying for this scholarship and/or is willing to volunteer while receiving the WMF scholarship
- May have some other funds available for their education, but will not be able to go to school without a scholarship
The scholarship awards are determined by the Board of Directors of the Wells Mountain Foundation and awarded once a year. Applications must be received by April 1 of each year to be considered for the following academic year. Only the selected WMF Scholarship recipients will be emailed on August 1. Their names will also be published on our homepage, news blog and the WMF Facebook page.
Tips for Becoming a Competitive Applicant in 2015
The following are suggestions to enhance your Empowerment Through Education program application in 2015 and in following years:
- Become a member of a community service group and record all of your service activities (dates, activities, time spent, photographs, etc.)
- Collect your secondary school transcript, national exam results and grading keys to interpret your results
- Request two letters of recommendation on official stationery from two people who know you professionally/personally and can showcase the reasons you deserve this scholarship
- Have all of your documents translated into English
- Always apply to the Empowerment Through Education Scholarship with the current application form (If it is for the year 2015, apply only with the 2015 application)
Upcoming Important Dates
- December 1, 2014 – The 2015 Empowerment Through Education program application is available on our website. Completed 2015 Empowerment Through Education program applications will start to be accepted on this date.
- April 1, 2015 – The 2015 Empowerment Through Education program application deadline.
Empowerment Through Education Program Accepting Applications For 2015
Applications from qualified applicants will be accepted from December 1, 2014 – April 1, 2015. Before applying, we strongly encourage you to read the Empowerment Through Education Information Flier and also the Empowerment Through Education Application Frequently Asked Question document. These two documents will assist you in determining your eligibility and guide you in the application process.
The following are required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Two essays
- 2015 Application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters*
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret grades**
- Office transcript of grades from tertiary studies (if applicable)
- Official grading key to interpret grades**
- Official results from your national exam
- Official grading key to interpret scores on your national exam**
*Recommendation letters vary throughout cultures. We have created ETE Recommendation Letters Guidelines to assist applicants in seeking letters that will be supportive of their application. Read this document and share it with the individuals who will be writing your letters of support.
**Official grading keys must be provided by the school issuing the grades or the government issuing the national exam. Grading keys that are not official will result in your application being disqualified. Contact your secondary school, college/university, or government for this document.
If you qualify, now is the time to apply for this exciting opportunity! Since 2005, we have supported 137 students worldwide. Please note that within the past three years, we have been able to select 1.1% of applicants to become a part of this program. Our decision is based solely upon limited funding, as nearly all applicants are extremely deserving. As our organization grows, so will the Empowerment Through Education program. We encourage you to apply AND to continue searching for additional ways to finance your education.
There are two ways to apply. Online and by mailing in a completed application packet to our office.
APPLYING ONLINE: To apply online, click the ‘Apply Now’ button below. You will be redirected to a portal where you will be asked to create an account (username and password). You will have access to your application until April 1, 2015. We strongly suggest that you apply online as it will provide you with the opportunity to save your work and return multiple times. You will also guarantee that your application, once submitted online will be received and reviewed.
MAIL-IN: The following hyperlink will allow for you to print the Empowerment through Education Application 2015. It is then your responsibility to clearly complete the application and attach all required supporting documents. Applications must be received by April 1, 2015 in our office. Applications that arrive after April 1, 2015 will not be reviewed. This means that you must allow at least three weeks to mail your application to us from abroad. Only send one completed application. Incomplete or additional mailings with supporting documents will be discarded. We highly encourage applicants to applying online to ensure the delivery of their completed application.
We wish everyone luck in preparing their applications and encourage all applicants to remember that acceptance in the Empowerment Through Education program requires a dedicated interest in community service, improving your nation, and working within your country after graduation.
Questions can be directed to: email@example.com
Resources for Current WMF Scholars
Responsibilities & Resources for Current WMF Scholars
The selection and role of becoming and continuing to be a WMF Scholar is an international honor and distinction. WMF Scholars are ambassadors of the Wells Mountain Foundation and for their communities, countries, and future professional fields. It is required for WMF Scholars to perform with high standards of academic excellence and commit to becoming engaged in their communities through 100 hours of community service annually. WMF Scholars provide the WMF Programs Coordinator with semi-annual reports and monthly updates.
The following documents are due from all current WMF Scholars on August 1 and January 1:
Supporting a Scholarship
Information on How to Donate
Also read stories and testimonials from our scholars.
ATTENTION SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS!
It has come to the attention of WMF that someone is trying to defraud those who apply for our scholarships. No matter what you may be told there are NO FEES required to submit a scholarship application to the Wells Mountain Foundation! You only need to submit a complete application through our website, by our one deadline each year of April 1. If someone contacts you saying a fee is required, please forward that email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would very much like to prosecute this fraud.
Scholarship Management System provided by WizeHive