Empowerment Through Education Scholarship Program
Our hope is that by providing the opportunity to further one’s education, the scholarship participants will not only be able to improve their own future, but also that of their own communities. The foundation believes in the power and importance of community service and, as a result, all scholarship participants are required to volunteer for a minimum of 100 hours a year.
To learn more about the Empowerment Through Education Scholarship opportunity, please review our Program Highlights Flier.
2014 ETE Application Acceptance Period Closed
Thank you to all who expressed interested in the Empowerment Through Education Scholarship opportunity in 2014. The application acceptance period closed on April 1, 2014. The Wells Mountain Foundation will not accept late applications or individual requests for scholarship assistance outside of our application submission period. We encourage you to review our ‘Tips for Becoming a Competitive Candidate’ section and apply next year.
Scholarship Award Announcement
The 2014 WMF Scholars will be announced on this site on August 1, 2014. The list of this year’s recipients will appear on this website and as a WMF blog post. Successful applicants will receive an email on August 1, 2014. Applicants who do not receive the scholarship will not be notified individually of this result. We will not respond to individual inquiries about specific applications. We evaluate all applicants using the same criteria.
Tips for Becoming a Competitive Applicant in 2015
The following are suggestions to enhance your Empowerment Through Education Scholarship application in 2015 and in following years:
- Become a member of a community service group and record all of your service activities (dates, activities, time spent, photographs, etc.)
- Collect your secondary school transcript, national exam results and grading keys to interpret your results
- Request two letters of recommendation on official stationery from two people who know you professionally/personally and can showcase the reasons you deserve this scholarship
- Have all of your documents translated into English
- Always apply to the Empowerment Through Education Scholarship with the current application form (If it is for the year 2015, apply only with the 2015 application)
Our Ideal Candidate – A student, male or female, from a country in the developing world, who:
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Will be studying in their country or another country in the developing world
- Plans to live and work in their own country after they graduate
- Has volunteered prior to applying for this scholarship and/or is willing to volunteer while receiving the WMF scholarship
- May have some other funds available for their education, but will not be able to go to school without a scholarship
The scholarship awards are determined by the Board of Directors of the Wells Mountain Foundation and awarded once a year. Applications must be received by April 1 of each year to be considered for the following academic year. Only the selected WMF Scholarship recipients will be emailed on August 1. Their names will also be published on our homepage and blog.
Upcoming Important Dates
- August 1, 2014 – WMF Scholarship recipients announced
- November 1, 2014 – Empowerment Through Education Scholarship application is available
- April 1, 2015 – Empowerment Through Education Scholarship Application deadline
Resources for Current WMF Scholars
Responsibilities & Resources for Current WMF Scholars
The selection and role of becoming and continuing to be a WMF Scholar is an international honor and distinction. WMF Scholars are ambassadors of the Wells Mountain Foundation and for their communities, countries, and future professional fields. It is required for WMF Scholars to perform with high standards of academic excellence and commit to becoming engaged in their communities through 100 hours of community service annually. WMF Scholars provide the WMF Programs Coordinator with semi-annual reports and monthly updates.
The following documents are due from all current WMF Scholars on August 1 and January 1:
New WMF Scholars are encouraged to review WMF Scholars For Your Information packet to better acquaint yourself with our organization, who we are, your role as a WMF Scholar, and communication questions.
Supporting a Scholarship
Information on How to Donate
Also read stories and testimonials from our scholars.
ATTENTION SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS!
It has come to the attention of WMF that someone is trying to defraud those who apply for our scholarships. No matter what you may be told there are NO FEES required to submit a scholarship application to the Wells Mountain Foundation! You only need to submit a complete application through our website, by our one deadline each year of April 1. If someone contacts you saying a fee is required, please forward that email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would very much like to prosecute this fraud.
Scholarship Management System provided by WizeHive